The Tobacco Prevention and Education Program (TPEP) is a local Lead Agency coordinating tobacco control efforts in Solano County since 1990. TPEP is a program of the Health Promotion and Community Wellness Bureau within Solano Public Health. TPEP focuses on these major areas:
• Countering the influence of the tobacco industry
• Reducing exposure to secondhand smoke
• Reducing the availability of tobacco
• Promoting tobacco cessation services
• Building local assets to support local tobacco control efforts.
Every three years, TPEP conducts a community-based assessment to identify the local priorities for tobacco prevention with a focus on policy and community norm change. TPEP supports a community coalition to advise and strengthen our efforts. TPEP priorities for 2014-17 are:
• Limiting the location and/or number of tobacco retail stores close to schools or other youth sensitive areas
• LImiting the amount of storefront window advertising to less than 20% in a specific area
• Conducting community organizing training to help local groups to achieve to comprehensive outdoor smoking restrictions, or multi-unit housing smoking restrictions or restricting the use of electronic cigarettes where smoking is currently banned
Check the Take Action page for information about our latest effort and how you can get involved.
||Please view our website for information about the dangers of tobacco use and exposure to secondhand smoke, promoting smoke-free housing, quitting smoking and other related topics.
Check out smoke-free housing information for Property Managers and landlords to learn and understand the importance of offering smoke-free housing. For renters, learn about your rights as it pertains to smoke-free housing.
Learn about the Tobacco Education Coalition (TEC), which is an advisory group to the Solano County Health and Social Services, Tobacco Prevention and Education Program to help reduce tobacco use in Solano County.
Want to quit? Follow this link to information
about Quit Smoking resources and
other sites to help kick the habit.
Masthead photos by Brian Moore
Tobacco is the number one preventable cause of death, killing 780 Solano residents each year.
This site is made possible by funds received from the California Department of Public Health, under agreement #07-48.
Copyright © 2008 - 2014
Solano County Tobacco Prevention & Education Program